Monday, November 21, 2011

My Review of I'm Not Twenty Four - By Sachin Garg


Reverse Migration trend (from cities to smaller towns and villages) is something that is not uncommon in today's times. As more people congest the already crowded cities in search of opportunities, this trend of people wanting to break free from the demanding city life is only going to rise further in future. The shortage of space and time in cities is and thus the lack of an opportunity to be with one's own self is what pushes people out of cities mostly.

Why am I stating this? This is one of the things that struck me first when I laid my hands upon this book called “I'm Not Twenty Four by Sachin Garg.

In the initial chapters of this book, I thought that story is about the struggles of a girl, used to the ways of the cities, gets thrown into a remote village. I thought that she would provide be an account of her experiences to bring out the merits of village life. The obvious climax moment would be a point in her life where she would finally reflect on the demerits of cities and decide to settle down in the village.

However, that does not happen. That is not the plot at all infact.

A guy enters the plot. He's one of the hippie kinds. The girl meets the guy in Hampi and the instantly strike off a great note. The guy has travelled all over the world, seen different kinds of lives and fits the bill of someone easy to have a fling with. At this point, I thought that rest of the story would be about their love in the village. I was proven wrong once again as the story moved ahead.

What happens next is not something that I should write about here as it would give out the story. But atleast for me, it was nothing remotely close to what I had expected. The plot takes another huge turn towards the closing chapters in a manner in which I was compelled to think over all my initial assumptions about the story, the author and the manner in which the characters would behave.

What I can definitely mention is the fact that I would like to recommend this book to others for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, the climax is unexpected and leaves you thinking about re-evaluating your own life and ambitions. Unlike my preliminary expectation, the turn of events in the book, managed to touch and shake-up even a rock-hearted person like me. Secondly, I feel that this book has been written exceptionally well. While it is not a book that will help you improve upon your English language skills, it is definitely a piece of work that you will struggle to put down once you start reading. Thirdly, I am happy about the fact that yet again an Indian author has taken the step to break away from regular boring 9 to 5 kind of life and decided to go out and experience the world. Not only does is his experience intriguing (which one can make out by his writings) but also based on plots and characters which are Indian (which we can relate to). The paucity which earlier existed when it came to finding good Indian authors is now on a decline and Sachin is making a dent in that gap which existed.

While I write complete this review, I am not just floating in the happy after-thoughts that it has left on my mind, but also looking up on Flipkart for the other book that Sachin has written J



This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com. Participate now to get free books!


Follow me on TwitterRahul Chawra on Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment