Monday, November 21, 2011

Exploring Nokia 701 - Day VI


For most of us Indian’s, Maps of places where we live and visit is like an alien concept. Usually there are hundreds of lanes, by-lanes and by-by-lanes that exist in the country without getting a name ever. House No. 24 can be just after House No. 63, while House No. 62 can be half a mile away. When you ask people for directions, they usually show the right hand and ask you to go left. But we still manage every time. Such confusion is a part of our life.

And then I start using the Maps on Nokia 701. For the first time, I came to know that the lane in which my house is, also has a name. What a discovery! Since the day I have moved to this house, I have never been to my terrace. For the first time, I was able to see what my terrace looks like as seen from a satellite thousands of kilometres away.

But the real fun started when we were travelling to Pune and decided to use Maps since we didn’t know the direction to that place. As soon as I located the destination, the screen turned into a 3D screen similar to the kind of view I got from my windscreen. Within moments, some seemingly intelligent lady’s voice started guiding us on the directions. It would give an indication when we would be at reasonable distance and second reminder when we would almost reach a turn.

We were so captivated by this lady and her voice that we started to play the fool with it. If the voice advised ‘Turn Right’, we would turn left. But, within seconds she would recalculate the route and start giving directions once again from that new point. We did find the place we were looking for and also had a lot of fun.

The other thing I wanted to talk about is the browser on the Nokia 701.

All I wanted from the phone browser was to provide me with an experience which is similar to that on the computer. And Nokia 701’s browser does. I was surprised to find that multiple tabs can also be opened on it and you can conveniently move from one to the other while it loads. Online payment of bills using internet banking was one thing that I could never convince myself to try on the phone. However, I had an error free experience while trying it out on the Nokia 701.

Great experience overall.


Follow me on TwitterRahul Chawra on Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment